July 12, 2016

Waiting on Woo

I've been eagerly awaiting the day I could share this special project with you guys,
but how do I even begin? I'm going to be an aunt in about 5 days! 

It's a long story, so I'll let my crazy talented sis-in-law tell the story in her beautifully
written words (a gift I did NOT get, hence the typically short-on-words blog posts). 
She recently started a blog, The Story of Willa James, to document their journey from
the beginning. She tells the tales of how her name came about to the ins and outs
of the nursery. I promise you don't want to miss a beat. It's an incredible story, but
I'm obviously a bit partial. I canNOT wait to get my hands on little Willa at the end
of July when they return home. 

We've known God had a perfect plan for them all along, and to see it unfold over the past
few years has truly been something special. This exact time last year (almost to the date), I
hopped on a plane to China for a mission trip with my church because the possibility
of Willa was getting more real. We knew she was coming eventually, but we hadn't 
seen a picture. We didn't know when she would be here, but we knew she was out
there, so we waited. Hence, the # was started #waitingonwoo (again, props to my SIL for the
creative lingo). Given the opportunity, I knew I wanted to see Willa's world. I wanted
to experience just a taste of what life in China was like. It really is unbelievable the way
God works as they will be in China the same dates I was there, exactly a year apart. What
will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up is that Willa's province is a stone's
throwaway from where I was. So close, yet we had no idea. 

Disclaimer, this is not my child. I'm simply an adoring aunt, but it's the beginning
of such an exciting chapter in our lives. We're pretty excited if you can't tell. While I was 
exploring China last year, I couldn't help myself and started buying all the things. 
Literally every touristy thing you can thing of, I bought for little Willa. I mean, if she's
coming from China she obviously needs a mini tea set, right? And a stereotypical 
Chinese dress. And little booties with dragons on them. I mean, she needs this stuff, right?
Not really, but they have made cute additions to her nursery (again, more details on the
nursery here). 


 



If you've made it this far, here's where we tie it all together with a pretty little bow...

I guess I left out the part where back in April, they got the call. THE call. THE pictures. 
Willa was coming this summer. We. Were. Ecstatic. And all cried. A lot. 

When the discussions started for her "toddler shower", my wheels started turning for 
the invites. How in the world was I going to capture something so special in an
illustration? I felt highly unqualified, but the nursery was coming along, so I turned
there for inspiration. 




So, here it is! One of my favorite projects to date (for obvious reasons)...


But then, what about a shower gift? Oh my. 

I decided to start Willa in my line of work at an early age, so I created a custom
coloring book just for her. Because, let's face it, we'll do anything for Woo. 
Here's to hoping she's a child prodigy in the arts. 



 



Since, I'm not as tech-savvy as I should be, you'll have to switch to instagram to see a 
video of the entire coloring book filled with snippets of her life that was and is to 
come. 

The "Toddler Shower" was this past weekend and I can't even begin to tell you how
perfect it was. With a handful of hosts, it was a team effort with no detail overlooked
including a custom gift list (not my idea, but I was happy to create it). You'll also
notice the table runners hand-made by my cousin with words in Willa's native tongue. 




I also have to give major props to my mom for designing and my dad for making
Willa a picnic table that's just her size! How great is the mini umbrella? 
It's from World Market




Join me in praying for my brother and sister-in-law as they board a plane 
tomorrow to get sweet little Willa. We can't wait to meet her! 
SaveSave

1 comment:

  1. love this story!:) my heart is so open for adopting a child one day:) just need the husband first:) God Bless! you and your family on your beautiful new addition which I know will be a blessing!:)

    ReplyDelete

 

design + development by kelly christine studio