April 5, 2016

Book Club: March in review, pt. 2

Grab a tissue.

Did you guys read Me Before You




Here's what I liked about the book:

I'm trying not to spoil the ending for those who haven't read it, so I'll tread carefully...
It's a love story to it's core (if you can't tell from the movie trailer), a really gut-wrenching love story, and who doesn't love a good love story? I think it helped seeing the movie trailer first (I actually saw it before I ever knew about the book), so as I was reading the characters had faces. It made it more real.

While the story unfolded completely different than I would have expected, it was a quick read. Granted, I was sobbing by the last chapter, it was beautiful in it's own way. The story is predominantly told from Lou's (or "Clark's") perspective, though there's a few chapters sprinkled in from a different character's perspective. I'm not sure what else to say because it left me at a loss for words. All I can say is READ IT. Read it before the movie comes out in June.

My only complaint is that I felt like the author put it in fast-forward in the end. I felt like it could have used a little more time, more pages, more details. The last few chapters felt like an actor who just won an Oscar and has already gone over his or her 30 sec. allotted time for the acceptance speech. I wanted her to drag it out a bit more with no musical interruptions. But again, read it.



I'll be announcing the next book in the coming days, but do you have any recommendations?
I'm still narrowing down my picks. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by kelly christine studio